Sunday, June 27, 2010

the healthy student's guide to eating out :)

We've all been there. You're trying to live a healthy lifestyle by exercising and eating right. But then there comes the challenge of going out to eat with friends or family and ordering something off the menu. What's in this? How much fat/salt does it have in it?? Am I allergic to any of the ingredients? Is there ANYTHING healthy on this menu?? I present to you...the healthy student's guide to eating out!

  1. Find out what restaurant you're going to ahead of time and Google it. Most restaurants now post their menus and nutrition info online, so you can browse and know what you're getting into. I like to pick 2 options off the online menu and then pick whichever one I have a taste for when I get to the restaurant.
  2. Modify your dish!! If you see a dish you like, but don't like the side/dressing/toppings/whatever, ask for it to be left out or replaced with something else. If a restaurant you like tends to add too much dressing to a salad, ask for it on the side.
  3. Lay off the cocktails. Alcohol has calories - empty calories. You're not gonna get any nutritional value from it. If you must drink, make it a once in a while treat, and limit yourself to ONE drink.
  4. Don't be afraid of your sweet tooth. If you're with a group and you want dessert, split something. All you have to do is ask for multiple spoons/forks to be brought with the dessert. You satisfy your sweet tooth without blowing your quest to be healthy!
  5. If you're overly stuffed, take a SLOW walk around the local mall/park after your meal. You'll feel better.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I didn't learn #3 until well AFTER college, but it's so true. Whenever I have to decide whether I want to eat or drink my calories, the food always wins!

    www.firednfabulous.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a nutrition class a couple semesters ago and one of the first things the professor talked about was how alcohol was empty calories.. I'm glad I discovered that now!! I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them too!

    ReplyDelete